Hope you had a great week, and may this one be even better!
So as I was leaving a prenatal appointment I saw a panflit on collecting the baby’s cord blood and I picked it up. As I mentioned to my fiancée (who’s a health “freak” or better known as a homeopath — more information on what that is in this link->http://www.homeopathyschool.com/why-study-with-us/what-is-homeopathy/) I thought it was interesting he said “we’re doing that” as if he had already decided and forgotten to mention it to me. So I got on top of it right away and found the best company to store it privately. Below I will share some of the information I found on this topic.
What is cord blood?
Cord blood is the blood in your baby’s umbilical cord. It contains stem cells that can grow into blood vessels, organs, and tissues… these cells are currently approved to treat over 80 diseases, including Lymphoma Leukemia; they are being explored as a treatment for Alzheimer’s, Diabetes, Autism, and Cerebral Palsy.
Your baby’s cord blood can be collected at birth and stored for future use.
For cord blood storage, you have two main options:
- You can donate your baby’s cord blood to a public cord blood bank for anyone who needs it.
- You can pay to store your baby’s cord blood in a private cord blood bank for your family’s use.
Why bank the cord blood tissue?
Your baby’s umbilical cord tissue provides an abundant source of mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) – different from cord blood stem cells. Mesenchymal stem cells have the unique ability to rapidly divide and differentiate themselves. These special cells are showing great potential in regenerative medicine for the future treatment of medical conditions affecting cartilage, muscle and nerve cells. Saving both cord blood and cord tissue means:
More stem cells. More treatment options. More healing potential.
Immediate biological family members could benefit from the baby’s cord tissue stem cells, with parents having a 100% likelihood of being compatible, siblings having a 75% likelihood of being compatible, and grandparents having a 25% likelihood of being compatible. There is an increasing number of studies using MSCs from cord tissue seen in adults, such as Lupus.
With these cells, researchers are exploring in wide range of categories, such as:
- Lung Cancer
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Sports Injuries
How much does it typically cost?
Family cord blood banks charge a first-year processing fee that ranges from about $1,000 to $3,000, plus annual storage costs of about $90 to $175.
Clamping and cutting the cord
After you’ve delivered your baby, whether vaginally or by c-section the cord is clamped and then cut in the usual way – either by your partner or your medical provider.
The American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology (ACOG) recommends a delay of 30 to 60 seconds between delivery and cord clamping for healthy, full-term babies. It’s believed that delayed clamping may be beneficial for newborns. Delayed clamping may affect the volume and quality of cells collected for donating or storing cord blood, however. But I talked to my cord blood banker and I’m allowed to wait a minute or two to cut the cord.
Extracting the cord blood and tissue
Your medical provider then inserts a needle into the umbilical vein on the part of the cord that’s still attached to the placenta. The needle doesn’t go anywhere near your baby.
The blood drains into a collection bag. Typically, 1 to 5 ounces are collected. The entire process takes less than 10 minutes.
If you choose to bank both cord blood and cord tissue, once the cord blood is collected, your doctor will place the remaining umbilical cord tissue in a sterile, protective storage cup that is provided in the collection kit you receive.
Off to the bank!
The blood is shipped to a cord blood bank, where it’s tested, processed, and cryopreserved (preserved by controlled freezing) for long-term storage if deemed acceptable according to quality standards.
A full list of the current clinical trials with cord blood is available on the Diseases Treated page of the Parent’s Guide to Cord Blood Foundation website.
There is a lot of information over this topic. So if it interests you and want to know even more, enjoy some researching on your down time. (As if we don’t research enough already right ?! Lol.)
PS I am storing with Via Cord and below is the box I received. You would take it to hospital or birthing center with you or if you are birthing at your home just have it handy!
If you have any questions for me please DM (@alexandrarodriguez__), email me firstname.lastname@example.org, or leave a comment below. Will be happy to chat with you!